Can you help shape Wales health future?
Changing the story of dementia
In the UK, dementia affects 850,000 people and is now the biggest single cause of death for women, and a major cause of death in men. There have been no real 'break-throughs' in treatments for dementia in over 20 years and HealthWise Wales is helping the Dementias Platform UK (DPUK) to change this.
We know that the causes of dementia start decades before symptoms show, and so the best people to help study these causes are healthy volunteers. Members of HealthWise Wales are ideal for dementia research because they provide information via our research questionnaires and have their healthcare data linked while they are still healthy. This will allow connections to be made between lifestyle, environmental factors and brain function which can help to understand and predict dementias.More information »
What is HealthWise Wales?
HealthWise Wales is your unique opportunity to be part of shaping the health and wellbeing of future generations in Wales, and help the NHS in Wales to plan for the future. For more information, watch this short film or read more here.Register now to join in
What does it involve?
- Register online or by phone to say that you are willing to take part in research. This takes no more than 10 minutes.
- Complete short questionnaires every 6 months, so that we get an ongoing picture of your lifestyle and health.
- We'll let you know when there are new studies to join; you choose whether to take part or not.
Research is vital to develop better treatments and manage diseases
- Wales faces many health challenges.
- People are living longer, but one in three adults say that their daily activities are limited by a health problem and one in two people over 65 are being treated for two or more health conditions.
- There are many studies taking place to address these issues, but researchers find it difficult to recruit enough people.
Help spread the word
Help us by following us on social media and sharing with your friends or encouraging them to join up too!
How HealthWise Wales participants have contributed to research studies in Wales
Patients' reasons for consulting a GP when experiencing a dental problem: a qualitative study.5th Mar 2019
Are you pregnant or have you given birth within the last year?
Researchers at Cardiff University want to find out how easy or difficult it is for women to use a pool for labour and birth in the UK.16th Oct 2018
HealthWise Wales Newsletter Summer 2018
Find out how you've been supporting research in Wales.8th October 2018
Run for the health of the nation
To be in with a chance of winning one of ten pairs of Cardiff Half Marathon spots, sign up to HealthWise20 August 2018